Who is eligible for employment scheme benefits?

Employment schemes are intended to help job seekers return to the labour market. These benefits are available to anyone who has reached the age of 18. If you have applied for or are receiving unemployment benefits when you begin your scheme, you can choose between the employment scheme benefits or unemployment benefits while you participate in the scheme. You are also eligible for an allowance to cover travel costs if you are receiving unemployment benefits while participating in your scheme, but no additional allowances are available to you.

The participants of NAV's Qualification Programme will receive qualification benefits, instead of these benefits combined with a child supplement. But you are free to apply for an extra allowance to cover any extra costs you incur to participate in the scheme, as long as these costs are documented.

If you are receiving the work assessment allowance and are participating in a scheme, please read the information available on our supplemental benefits.

What can you receive?

These benefits (and the child supplement) shall cover your expenses for subsistence (including rental assistance) for the days you participate in the scheme. The amount of support you receive while participating in an employment scheme depends on your age at the time you apply for benefits. You will receive a higher rate if you have reached the age of 19, yet the rate is somewhat lower for those who have not reached 19. See our list of Rates (text in Norwegian).

These benefits are tax-exempt and do not earn you any pension points.

You are eligible for the child supplement if you care for a child/children under the age of 16. If the child is not registered in the National Population Register you will need to document the fact that you are responsible for providing for a dependent by submitting a copy of the child's birth certificate or a certificate of residence. This also applies to newborns. The certificate of residence can be ordered from the Norwegian Tax Administration (bostedsattest from skatteetaten).

You may also be eligible for supplemental benefits to cover any extra costs you may have for participating in a scheme, as long as you can document those costs.

How do you apply?


You can also file a paper application for these benefits. Processing paper applications takes more time (text in Norwegian). 

If you wish to submit your application by mail, please locate the application (Søknad om tiltakspenger) under Forms. A wizard will appear after you select the correct form to help you fill in the form. The first page of the form will be visible to you first. Complete the application form and submit it along with any attachment documents that are required using the address stated on the first page of the wizard, as soon as possible.

What you can do on your own

Forfeiting your place in a scheme

You could lose your place in a NAV employment scheme if you

  • fail to arrive on the first day without notifying your supervisor or counsellor of your absence
  • have started a scheme, but have been absent so many times that NAV no longer considers your participation appropriate

You may also lose your right to certain benefits or allowances.

Please read more about this topic here:

Notify NAV about changes

Issues such as changes to income, family situation, job situation or if you plan to spend time abroad, may be of significance to the amount you receive from the Norwegian Labour and Welfare Administration (NAV). You are obligated to notify NAV as soon as you are aware of any of these changes or situations.


You will receive payments for the days that you participate in a scheme and for official holidays (Christmas Day and Boxing Day, New Year's Day, certain days of Easter week, Whit Monday, 1st of May, 17th of May and Ascension Day) when they fall on days that otherwise would have been connected to your measure.

Benefits that are calculated according to the information you submit on your employment status form are paid 2 to 4 days after the employment status form is registered with NAV. Read more about Payment dates, holiday pay and tax withholding.

You can check payment dates in the service Dine utbetalinger (Your payments).

Most of the main information about your entitlements and duties is available here in English. There are also links to other more detailed information; however, som of this information is only available in Norwegian.