Who can receive transitional benefit?

You have to satisfy the conditions below to be entitled to benefit as a single mother or father.

  • You and your child must have been members in the National insurance scheme for the previous three years.
  • You and your child must live in Norway.
  • You must be unmarried, divorced or separated.
  • You are caring for your child alone.
  • You must not have be in a relationship with the child's other parent, which would imply you are not really a single mother or father.
  • You must not have a cohabiting partner
  • You are not considered a single mother or father if you are receiving or have previously received single mother or father benefits, and get a new child with the same partner.

You may be exempt from some of these conditions. See the regulations or call NAV telephone 55 55 33 33 for more information.

If you meet the requirements, you may be entitled to transitional benefit. If the child is under the age of 1 year, you are free to choose whether you want to be active (i.e. go out to work or study). Once the child is 1 year old, you must be in activity that constitutes at least half of a full-time occupation; for example have a 50 per cent job or take an education that constitutes at least half of a full-time course. The education must be necessary and appropriate to get a new job, or keep your present job. If you do not have a job or a place in an educational institution, you must be registered with NAV as a real jobseeker.

The activity requirement does not apply if you or the child are sick or if you cannot arrange child care for the child, for example in a day-care institution (barnehage), day-care facilities for schoolchildren (SFO), etc. You must provide documentation of your or the child’s illness by means of a medical certificate and, for example, confirm that your application for a place in a day-care institution was denied.

Transitional benefit is not granted if you have, without reasonable grounds, left your job during the last 6 months before applying for this benefit.

For how long will you receive transitional benefit?

The main rule is that if you have children under the age of 8 years. You can receive transitional benefit for up to 3 years. . If you have been receiving transitional benefit for three years and become the sole carer of a new child, you can only receive transitional benefit until the child is entitled to a place in a day-care institution. You can receive transitional benefit from up to 2 months before your expected delivery date if you are single when the child is born.

The period during which you are entitled to transitional benefit may be extended by up to 2 years until your youngest child is 8 years old if you are in necessary education. The benefit period may be extended by up to three years until your youngest child is eight years old if you are in necessary and approriate education and care for more than two children, or if you became a sole provider before your 18th birthday.

Importent about the benefit period

The transitional benfit is given for a limitied period, You are using from the benfit period even if
you recieve decreased transitional benefit (for example in combination with work), or only apply and become Child care benefit or Supplemental benefits.

The periods with transitional benefit may under certain conditions be extended beyond the school year, while waiting for work, school admittance, supervisory arrangements or if you or your child has a temporary illness.

If your child requires extra care because of disability, illness or serious social problems, you may, under certain circumstances, be entitled to receive transitional benefit until the child is 18 years old.

How much will you receive?

The transitional benefit is 2.25 times the National Insurance basic amount. This benefit is taxable as earned income and classified as pensionable income. Recipients of transitional benefit do not qualify for holiday pay.

The transitional benefit is reduced according to income. You may earn up to half of the basic amount over the course of a 12-month period without having your transitional benefit reduced. If you earn more than this, your transitional benefit will be reduced by NOK 0.45 for every krone you earn in excess of half the National Insurance basic amount.

If the decision in your case results in a change in your income of more than 10 per cent, you must request recalculation in order to avoid overpayment or underpayment of transitional benefit. You can do this by calling (+47) 55 55 33 33 or by sending us a message via nav.no.

Deemed equivalent to earned income are unemployment benefit, sickness benefit, benefits paid in connection with illness in children or family members, work assessment allowance, pregnancy benefit, parental benefit and Cash benefits for care or foster care allowance (text in Norwegian).

Your right to transitional benefit may also be affected by other subsistence benefits you receive, either from the Norwegian National Insurance scheme or from abroad.

Transitional benefit is paid from the month after you qualified for the benefit.

Forfeiting your benefits

You can lose your single mother or father benefits within one month for these reasons:

  • if you quit your work.
  • refuse to accept an offer of work.
  • fail to resume the job you had when your period of parental leave ends.
  • refuse to participate in a labour market schemes/measures or fail to attend a meeting scheduled with the Norwegian Labour and Welfare Administration (NAV).

The benefits that you were granted will be confiscated for the period of time in which you failed to meet these conditions.

If you provide incorrect or misleading information or fail to provide information that is necessary to your case, you may lose the right to such benefits for up to 3 months for the first infraction and up to 6 months for any repeated infractions during a consequential period of 3 years.

Information to recipients of transitional benefit pursuant to old rules

The transitional benefit rules changed on 1 April 2014. This benefit is now taxable as earned income. Pursuant to the old rules, transitional benefit was taxable as pension income and was not classified as pensionable income. In order to compensate for the increased taxation, the transitional benefit rate has been increased to 2.25 times the basic amount. Consequently, the amount after tax is roughly the same as under the old rules.

 Some people are still receiving transitional benefit under the old rules. Not until 1 January 2017 will the new rules for transitional benefit apply to all recipients.

Transitional benefit under old rules is equal to 2 times the National Insurance basic amount. If you earn an income, your transitional benefit will be reduced by NOK 0.40 for every krone you earn in excess of half the National Insurance basic amount.

How do you apply for transitional benefit?

Apply for transitional benefit using the form “Application for transitional benefit, allowance for childcare due to work, and allowance to cover tuition fees for single parents”. Applications can be submitted online via nav.no. You can also submit a paper application by post.

Before filling out the application form, you will see a list of documentation you will need to submit with your application. It is important that you fill in all the relevant fields and submit all the necessary documentation, so that your case can be processed promptly. Read more about documentation you will need to submit.

If you have other information you would like to tell us about, please write this in section 10 of the application form.

You will receive a written decision once your application has been processed. See the processing times in your county.

If you are applying for supplemental benefits because you are in education, are looking for work or need to move in order to find work, you must submit a digital application for supplemental benefits at nav.no.  

You can always call NAV, telephone 55 55 33 33 if you need more information or guidance/  help to fill in the form.

Travelling to or from other countries

If you are going to work abroad for a Norwegian employer and remain a member of the Norwegian National Insurancescheme, you may be entitled to benefits for single parents. You must send an requist to NAV before you travel with a cover page from nav.no. Enclose the cover page at the front of your letter and submit to the adress given on the cover page. If you have questions, please Call NAV 55 55 33 33.

You are obligated to notify NAV  if you intend to leave the country for any extended period of time. You may have right to receive benefit abroad for 6 weeks (42 days) within a 12- months period.

If you are required to participate in occupational activity (work, education or you are a job seeker) and disrupt the activity because you are temporarily abroad, you will normally no longer receive your single mother/father benefits.

The information enclosed with the letter of decision, sent to you by NAV, provides information about the deadline for informing NAV that you intend to reside abroad

Duty to report changes

Changes in your income, family situation and/or your situation as regards work or education or if you are planning to spend a prolonged period abroad may affect the payment you receive from NAV. You must therefore immediately report any changes to NAV immediately.


See Payment dates, holiday pay and tax withholding

You can also check your payments on the Utbetalingsoversikt service.

Most of the main information about your entitlements and duties is available here in English. There are also links to other more detailed information; however, some of this information is only available in Norwegian.